Where Compassion Meets Experience

Holding Negligent Governmental Entities Responsible For Injuries

Sometimes people are injured due to the negligence of a “public” employee, someone who works for an agency or department of the local city, county or state government. A negligent bus driver working for the local city-operated bus system who crashes into a cyclist would be one example.

In a similar vein, people can be hurt due to an unsafe condition on publicly owned property, such as a defective city sidewalk that leads to a fall or a dangerous county road that contributes to a car accident.

If you are involved in an accident similar to the situations described above in which you are injured due to the negligence of a public employee or by some unsafe condition of public property, then you may have a “government tort liability” claim for monetary damages.

At Ryneal & Ryneal, I have been helping injured clients recover throughout the Inland Empire for over 40 years. If you or a loved one has been hurt due to the negligence of a government worker or unsafe conditions of public property, I can help you receive compensation for your injuries and other damages and help you get back on your feet.

How And When To File A Government Liability Claim

A government tort liability claim is not against some private individual or company, but rather it is against the particular governmental entity that employed the negligent employee or owned and maintained the public property that was found to be in a dangerous and unsafe condition that caused your accident.

If this is the case, then you should know that the law provides for special rules that are only applicable to claims or lawsuits against governmental or “public entities.” For example, the time limits to assert your claim or file a suit are much more restrictive when suing a public entity versus a private individual or company. Typically, you only have six months from the date of the accident to file your written claim for damages with the appropriate governmental entity, and thereafter your time to even file a suit on your rejected claim (virtually all claims are rejected by the public entity involved) is also equally restrictive.

Similarly, there are numerous statutory defenses to your claim available to the governmental entity that are not available to a private person or company if it is a defendant in a claim or suit that you may file. That is why it’s extremely important following such an accident that you consult with an attorney who specializes in governmental (public entity) tort liability as soon as possible. This will allow you to preserve your rights and file your claim against the “appropriate” public entity responsible for your accident in a timely manner.

Ask A Lawyer About Your Claim

Think you have a government liability claim? Contact me now to learn more during a free case evaluation with an attorney. Call 951-382-5176 or write to me online to schedule your free consultation.