Did You Lose Your Loved One In A Wrongful Death Accident?
Have you lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligent actions? The compassionate, experienced and effective wrongful death attorneys at Ryneal & Ryneal can help. We understand how devastating and traumatizing it can be to lose someone close to you, especially when it occurs due to a sudden accident. Our team will take care of the legal aspects of your case so you can focus on spending this tough time with your loved ones. We will also be available whenever you need us.
What Is Wrongful Death?
According to California Code, Code of Civil Procedure § 377.60, wrongful death is defined as a death that arises from either another’s negligence or intent to cause harm (but not necessarily death). Common causes of wrongful death include:
- Aviation accidents
- Defective products
- Drowning, boating and recreation accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Work accidents
Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim In California?
California’s wrongful death statutes allow family members to file a wrongful death claim for compensation if someone’s negligent actions result in the death of their loved one. Eligible family members include, in order of precedence:
- The decedent’s surviving spouse, domestic partner, children, and/or issue of deceased children
- People who would be entitled to the decedent‘s property by intestate succession, such as the surviving spouse or domestic partner
- The putative spouse, children of the putative spouse, stepchildren and/or parents
- A minor who resided in the decedent’s household and was dependent on the decedent for half or more of their support
What Is The Statute Of Limitations For California Wrongful Death Claims?
A wrongful death lawsuit must be initiated within two years of your loved one’s passing in order to be considered by the courts. If you try to start your claim after more than two years, the court will most likely refuse to take your claim.
Ask About A Free Consultation Today
Losing a loved one to an accident is a pain that no one should suffer. I can help make things right for you. Contact me today for a free case evaluation. To learn how much your claim may be worth, call 951-382-5176 or send me an email.